The Cornell Council for the Arts has awarded 11 students 2006-07 Individual Artist grants for artistic merit, creativity, community outreach potential and innovation. The students will receive grants of up to $750 and will have 12 months to create, complete and present their work.
A list of the artists, their projects and exhibition locations:
- Bernadette Acuna '06: Made in Hong Kong: Furniture as Cultural Artifact, photo documentary, November 2006, Willard Straight Art Gallery;
- Jessica Brown '06 and Kathleen Hawkes '06: Four films depicting female beautification rituals, Aug. 28-Sept. 1, 2006, Tjaden Gallery;
- Carolyn Ryan Funk, MFA '07: Words Meant and Were Senseless (After Cries and Whispers), projected video, September 2006, Johnson Museum;
- Denise Green '07: Commodified Identity, exhibition of quilts and garments in mixed media sculptures, Sept. 24-Oct. 14, 2006, Willard Straight Gallery;
- Hayley Paige Gutman '07: Design de L'Opera, fashion inspired by Leroux and Casanova, Design League Fashion Show, April 2007, Barton Hall;
- Philip Kim '08: Racy Businesswear, business attire, Design League Fashion Show, Barton Hall, April 2007;
- Jan Kostecki '09: Where the Books Meet the Floor, photo exhibition of ballroom dancing competitions, Sept. 21, 2006, Big Red Barn;
- Emilie Stark-Menneg '06: In/Direct Sunlight, theater with musical accompaniment, Dec. 9-11, 2006, Schwartz Center;
- Ellen Fei Spero, M.S. '08: A Notebook from the Laboratory of Dreams, dancewear collection expressed through movement on film, Sept. 21, 2006, Big Red Barn;
- Leah Zatz '07: Fashion inspired by Malcolm Liepke, Design League Fashion Show, April 2007, Barton Hall.