Pfizer-BioNTech announced Wednesday its coronavirus vaccine is extremely effective in children ages 12 to15. No infections were found among children who received the vaccine in a recent clinical trial – news which may signal a speedy return to normalcy for Americans.
Isaac Weisfuse, medical epidemiologist at Cornell University, says this new data could signal a shift in efforts to battle the coronavirus pandemic.
“Pfizer's announcement of the effectiveness of its vaccine amongst adolescents is welcome news. Following FDA approval, the vaccine will play a critical role in the battle against COVID-19.
“The many benefits of vaccinating adolescents include:
- Increased safety and reassurance in opening middle and high schools next fall.
- Larger family gatherings.
- Safe resumption of activities such as sports, clubs, social and other extracurricular activities.
- Allowing parents to return to work without worrying about unsupervised children.
- A critical step towards achieving herd immunity which will help the entire country get back to normal.”