The 20th annual Staff Development Day will be held July 25, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., in the Clark Atrium, Physical Sciences Building.
To celebrate two decades of highlighting the opportunities available to Cornell staff, faculty and retirees to develop their personal and professional lives, this year’s event will feature:
- Continental breakfast at 8:30 a.m., compliments of the Employee Assembly
- Keynote speech by Mary Opperman, vice president and chief human resources officer at 9 a.m., Physical Sciences Building, 120 Seminar Room. This event also will be livestreamed on the Staff Development Day website, and Opperman's comments will be followed by a panel discussion by staff members Kassy Crawford, technology process analyst, Cornell SC Johnson College of Business; Hazel Hall, interim associate director, Facilities Management, Facilities and Campus Services (FCS); Debra Howell, director of IT and business analytics, Facilities Management, FCS; and Carmelo Melice, custodian, Facilities Management, FCS.
- Roundtable talks from noon to 2:30 p.m., 401 Physical Sciences Building, to share your perspectives around the issues of:
- Risk-taking – What would it take to create a workplace culture where risk taking is the norm?
- Career development – What do you need to be successful as you manage your career?
- Belonging – What needs to be done to truly develop a workplace where everyone feels like they belong?
- Professional development – What training topics are you interested in that would support your specific job and career goals?
- More than 35 workshops on career development, management, retirement, and wellness and community will be held from 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. The following also will be livestreamed on the Staff Development Day website:
- Retirement 101: There’s No Time Like the Present to Save for the Future (from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.);
- Retirement 201: Help Make Sure Your Retirement is Ready When You Are (from noon to 1 p.m.);
- Effective Cover Letters and Resumes (from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.); and
- Tips for a Successful Interview (from 3 to 4 p.m.).
- A resource fair will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Clark Atrium.
See the Staff Development Day website for a complete schedule of workshop topics. Bring a copy of your resume if you would like it critiqued by a career specialist or would like practice in interviewing for a position.
Door prizes will include an overnight stay at the Statler Hotel; dinner for two at Taverna Banfi’s; brunch for two at Taverna Banfi’s; one round-trip Campus-to-Campus bus ride to New York City; general admission Cornell football season tickets; and Cornell Cinema tickets. You must register at the door to participate.
Questions? Contact Deb Billups, email email@example.com.