Two faculty awards recognizing excellence in community-engaged learning are open for nominations. Both awards are administered by the Office of Engagement Initiatives.
The annual George D. Levy Faculty Award recognizes a faculty member whose community collaborations serve as models for outstanding community-engaged learning in higher education. It supports a faculty member whose courses, research and other activities best demonstrate:
- shared or collaborative decision-making that incorporates community voice and reciprocity into the design, implementation and evaluation of the project;
- community capacity building;
- integrating community-engaged student learning outcomes into course design and delivery; and
- planning for sustaining the community partnership.
Previous recipients come from the College of Human Ecology, the College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell Engineering, and the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS). The recipient receives $5,000; self-nominations are accepted. The nomination deadline is Oct. 30.
The Engaged Scholar Prize is given annually to a faculty member whose innovative approaches to connecting community engagement and scholarly activities stand out and serve as inspiration to students, colleagues and community partners. Award criteria include:
- integration of community-engaged learning across teaching and mentoring, research and scholarship;
- creation of public goods and networks, such as exhibits, websites and groups;
- demonstration of reciprocity and mutuality in community-based partnerships; and
- commitment to assessment of impacts and learning outcomes for all participants.
The prize carries an award of $30,000 to further expand and deepen community-engaged activities through support to essential participants, including community partner(s), the faculty member and Cornell students. Previous recipients come from the College of Arts and Sciences, CALS and the College of Human Ecology.
Self-nominations are accepted; the nomination deadline is Nov. 13.
Aaron Goldweber is communications director for Engaged Cornell.